Completion tracking is a topic-wide setting that allows you select a 'completion' option for the items in your site. When completion tracking is turned on, you have the option to activate it for the activity or tool. Even with completion tracking turned on, items have are set to off, so you have to manually enable it for each item where it makes sense to do so.
To enable completion tracking in your FLO site, Administration > Edit Settings > Completion tracking and change to Yes to enable completion tracking. Save settings to apply.
Set up and integrate activity completion
Once 'Completion tracking' is enabled, each individual resource or activity can have 'Activity Completion' turned on.
Enable 'Activity completion' during the set-up procedures for each activity/resource you wish to track and the action associated with the tracking (manual or conditional completion)
Add the activity or resource by clicking on the link in the module:or edit an existing activity
Scroll down to Activity completion
Select manual or conditional from the drop-down menu
The settings you are provided with are available as either manual or conditional, which are related to the tracking function.
1. Completion tracking (behaviour)
Manual: students can manually mark the activity as complete (students see a box to tick when they have finished with that item)
Conditional: show activity as complete when conditions are met (select conditions and dates that apply)
2. Require view : Student must view this activity to complete it. By ticking this box, you are declaring the action (behaviour) of the student is to view the item and make no other changes/additions. This option only works for Show activity as complete when conditions are met is selected.
3. When an activity is added that has additional requirements possible, you are able to determine if a 'completion' is related to the grade (assessment submission, quiz etc) or entries (forum, glossary, etc). This is useful when describing to students what constitutes a 'completion' of an activity. Example: Students are required to post into a forum, and to comment on someone else's post, within a certain timeframe (conditional).
4. Expect completed on: Provide a date and enable it if you wish to use 'expected dates' in your site. This is useful for assessments or in preparation tasks for workshops or lectures.
Monitor activity completion
1. In the topic, locate the Administration tab
2. Click on Reports then Activity completion
3. View the students and activities/resources on screen. Two types of 'completion' exist – manual and automated. A blue tick will appear when a student has either manually ticked the item off (solid-line box) or has met the condition of the activity/resource set within the activity/resource settings (dotted-line box)
4. To download a spreadsheet format (UTF-8.csv) or Excel-compatible format (.csv) report, click on the Download in... button.
Bulk select activities/resources for completion tracking
You are unlikely to want all items in your FLO site to have completion tracking set up, as this may include labels that are headings, or resources that are optional. You can bulk edit activity completion, which fast tracks the selection process.
Set up activity completion for the topic (instructions above)
In your topic homepage, under the Administration tab, select Topic completion
In the next screen, click on the tab Bulk edit activity completion
Select the activities/resources you want to edit, and click on the Edit button. In the next screen, choose options, and if relevant, a completion date