From time to time students are contacted or emailed by parties asking for personal details and/or FAN and password details. In some cases these parties claim to be related to the University.
BE ALERT for inappropriate or fraudulent contacts, e.g. a caller recently claimed that a student’s home internet service was interfering with University computers. This call was an attempt to inappropriately obtain money and information from the student.
WATCH for these warning signs…
- requests for computer access or money
- requests for specific account information, personal information or passwords
- requests to confirm personal or account information
- you are actively discouraged from finding out the reason or source of the call
DO NOT …
- send money or give personal details to people you don’t know and trust
- provide your personal details—instead ask for their name and a contact number
- share your password with anyone under any circumstance
- continue with the phone call or respond to the email
- follow links or other directions in the email
CONTACT the FLO Help Desk on 8201 5378/1800 200 292 or firstname.lastname@example.org to report any incidents relating to Flinders University.
Mr Ian Smith
Director, Information Technology Services