We have been alerted to an emerging global cyber-attack that is focused on infecting computers with Ransomware. Ransomware is aimed at encrypting local computer data such that it cannot be accessed without paying a ransom fee to a third party.
What can you do?
To minimise the potential for issues we recommend that all students be careful when opening email attachments and clicking on links by:
- Only opening attachments or opening links from a sender you trust;
- Never click on any links that ask you to validate / provide your FAN account details;
- Looking for spelling or grammatical errors;
- Carefully reviewing emails that you didn’t ask for or from an unusual sender;
- Hovering your mouse pointer over links within email to confirm where a link might be taking you.
More information can be found on the ITS Website: http://www.flinders.edu.au/its/essentials/its-security/protecting-your-digital-identity/common-security-threats/phishing.cfm
If you are unsure, or wish to report an incident please contact ICTsecurity@flinders.edu.au in the first instance.
Acting Director, Information Technology Services l Flinders University