Online exam invigilation FAQs - technical and troubleshooting
The FAQS below relate to the technical setup and troubleshooting for using the online invigilation software (RPNow). If the answer to your question or issue isn't included below, please refer to the Get Help tab to find out where to get additional support.
The microphone I have is part of a headset, not a standalone microphone. Can I use this in the exam?No, the microphone you use must be inbuilt in your laptop or computer, or a standalone microphone. See examples of acceptable standalone microphones. Use of a headset or earphones during the exam will be flagged by invigilators as a failure to abide by the exam rules.
My microphone check was unsuccessful
My webcam isn’t working
- If you’ve opened the RPNow software and the interface is showing a blank space where your webcam input should be, this support guide may help.
- If you’re using a Microsoft Surface Pro Device and the rear facing camera is turning on instead of the forward facing camera, this support guide may help.
- If you’re using a Lenovo computer, and your camera icon is crossed out, this support guide may help.
- If you’re using a Mac and the software isn’t able to access your webcam and/or microphone, this this support guide may help.
I can't move my webcam. How can I scan my room?
Room scans are straightforward if you’re using a laptop with an inbuilt webcam, or a separate/standalone webcam. Just pick your device up, aim it away from you and scan the room. Standalone plugin webcams are available in most computer stores, office supply stores, and some department stores, with basic models costing from around $40.
But, if your webcam is fixed (e.g inbuilt into the monitor), or you are unable to move your camera to scan your workspace, the recommendation is to use a mirror. If you need to use a mirror you must:
- Show both sides of the mirror
- Pan and tilt the mirror so it reflects everything in the room around you, including the walls, your desktop and if possible, the floor.
- Check the room scan preview carefully and re-do it if you haven’t shown your room and workspace clearly
You should practice this plenty before your real exam to make sure you’re able to perform a room scan properly.
On my Mac I see the error message: RPNow can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.
If you’re using a Mac and you see this error message when you try to install the software, this support guide may help.
My Mac won’t allow the PSI secure browser to take control of the webcam and/or microphone
If you’re on a Mac and you see the error message pictured below, this support guide may help:
The PSI secure browser is stuck on the "Please Wait" screen
If you encounter issues where the system is looping on a 'please wait' screen either after launching Secure Browser or at the Security Check page, this support guide may help.
The quiz requires a password, and I don't know what it is!
If your quiz requires a password, don't panic - you don't need to know or enter the password yourself. Your Topic Co-ordinator will have coded the password into the invigilation software for you, so just click the green Insert Password button at the top of the screen and the password will be auto-filled.
If you don't see the Insert Password button, this means you've probably attempted the exam without opening the invigilation software first. Go back into your topic and find the link to the Online Exam Invigilation tool (RPNow), open it, and click Begin on the exam session. Once you finish the verification steps, the secure browser will run and you should see the Insert Password button at the top of screen.