FLO Help for Students
Collaborate is an online live collaboration space integrated within FLO. It has a range of functions, including chat, audio, video, and screen-sharing.
Collaborate is a multi-purpose tool with many uses. You may use it to participate in an online lecture or tutorial, present a presentation, participate in direct consultation with a teacher, or hold a group discussion.
If a session has been scheduled, click on the session name to enter. By default, scheduled sessions open 15 minutes before the session start time
If joining the room outside a of a scheduled session, click 'join room'
You may need to give permission for Collaborate to access your microphone and camera.
This may look different depending on your browser.
Watch the audio bar moving as you speak to ensure that your mic is working. If you have more than one microphone available, select it from the drop-down menu.
Click 'yes - its working' when you are happy to proceed
Watch the video test and make sure you can see yourself in your webcam. If you have more than one webcam available, select the correct one from the drop-down menu.
Click 'yes - its working' when you are happy to proceed.
Your microphone and webcam will not audible or visible until you chose to share them.
Toggle the audio and video icons to start and stop sharing.
As a participant in a Collaborate session, basic tools that you might use include audio, video, chat, raise hand and set status and feedback.
For a full-list of tools, see the following webpage
- Toggle the share audio button to turn your microphone on and off
- Toggle the share video button enable and disable your webcam
- To text chat, open the Collaborate panel and select the Chat tab.
Type your message into the chat bar, or select an emoticon. Press enter to send your message.
- Raise your hand to indicate that you would like to answer a question, or to get the attention of a moderator.
- Set status and feedback to show how you feel, or to indicate if you are away from your computer.
Feedback statuses are temporary, and display for less than a minute.
End of text
Collaborate recordings can be both watched online or downloaded. For instructions, watch the short video below.
By default, Collaborate will only display recordings from the last 7 days. To view an older recording, select recordings in a range from the drop-down menu then use the calendar to broaden the date range
- Preferred Browser. Google Chrome is the recommended browser for using Collaborate. Collaborate works best in recent versions of your browser, so update your browser if you are using an older version.
- Only turn on your microphone or webcam when you need to. Multiple audio and webcam streams can cause excessive bandwidth consumption, with the potential to cause problems for you and other participants. Leave your webcam off unless you need it.
- Switch or update your browser. Google Chrome is the recommended browser for using Collaborate. If you experience difficulty, try an alternate browser and make sure you are using the most recent version. If trying an alternate browser, use Mozilla Firefox.
- Having trouble hearing? Check your volume control. You will find volume controls in Collaborate itself, on your computer, and sometimes on your headset.
- Having trouble being heard?
1. Make sure you have enabled your audio by checking that the audio icon is green.
2. perform the audio test detailed in the 'set up your audio and video' tab above.
If multiple microphones are available on your device, make sure you have selected the right one from the drop-down menu.
3. Check your microphone volume in Collaborate.
- Struggling to stay connected?
Collaborate allows users to listen / talk into a session by dialing into a telephone number and enter the session PIN (please note: each pin is unique to a session and an individual user in that session) - commonly referred to as teleconferencing. This is useful if a participant does not have the correct equipment, or is struggling to enable their microphone.
Each participant receives a unique PIN for each session they enter (PIN is available within the Session Menu) and can dial into a local or international number to participate within the session. For help using this functionality click here
The local number for Adelaide is +61 8 7100 1859. Call charges will apply.