FLO Help for Students
Using a Forum
What is a forum?
A forum is a place to communicate ideas and thoughts. Generally each of your topic's will have a number of forums in which you can communicate with other students and the teaching staff. Some topics also utilize forums for assessment purposes.
What is it for?
Forums have many uses, such as
- A social space for students to get to know each other
- For topic announcements (using a news forum with forced subscription)
- For discussing topic content or reading materials
- For continuing online an issue raised previously in a face-to-face session
- For teacher-only discussions (using a hidden forum)
- A help centre where tutors and students can give advice
- A one-on-one support area for private student-teacher communications (using a forum with separate groups and with one student per group)
- For extension activities, for example ‘brain teasers’ for students to ponder and suggest solutions to
How do I use it?
If a discussion forum has been set up in your topic. Click on the heading to begin reading posts or posting yourself. This is an example of what it may look like,
You can subscribe to a forum to receive notifications of new forum posts by first entering the forum then clicking on the Administration drop-down menu.
Please note: A teacher can set the subscription mode to optional, forced or auto, or prevent subscription completely.